Pack a Snack. Healthy oat and banana cookies are a really great after swimming snack as it will fill them up and replenish the energy used during their lesson. Tasty for little mouths with no nasties and super easy to whip up and keep! Mermaid approved
Banana and Oat healthy cookies (makes 30)
What you will need:
- 3 CUPS (270G) ROLLED OATS
- 1 CUP (120G) ALMOND MEAL (GROUND ALMONDS)
- ½ CUP (40G) SHREDDED COCONUT
- ½ CUP (125ML) LIGHT-FLAVOURED EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL (or coconut oil)
- ⅔ CUP (160ML) MAPLE SYRUP (or honey)
- 2 TEASPOONS GROUND CINNAMON
- 2 TEASPOONS VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 CUP (260G) MASHED BANANA (ABOUT 2–3 BANANAS)
- ⅔ CUP (110G) CHOPPED DRIED FRUIT (some ideas; Sultanas, cranberries, blueberries, dates)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place all the ingredients in a big bowl and mix them really well to combine, using a spatula.
- With clean hands (the fun part!), roll and press heaped tablespoons of the mixture into balls. Arrange them on the prepared trays and squish them slightly.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until dark golden brown. Wearing oven gloves, carefully remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool on the trays, before sneaking a bite.
+ Bake these cookies until they’re dark brown – they’ll be crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside.
*recipe inspiration from the very clever Donna Hay