Mermaid Swim Academy offers swimming lessons for all levels from learn to swim programs, through to stroke development and competitive squad training. Due to the ocean-side location of the Bondi Icebergs pool, traditional swimming programs are complimented with unique ocean swimming and surf awareness programs.
All school programs can be delivered at the Icebergs Pool, Bondi Beach or at a school’s own pool, or even by utilising lane hire at local public pool facilities.
↓ Read more information about it by scrolling down below.
Swim programs can be structured to suit the school’s curriculum requirements and are designed to accommodate for all levels and individual needs of students; from learn to swim right through to competitive squad training, special needs, as well as incorporating aquatic survival skills and swim fitness.
See the following outcomes of MSA School Swim Programs:
Learn to Swim Outcomes:
- familiarise students in and around the water
- become water safe and develop aquatic survival skills
- gain confidence & awareness in aquatic environments
- learn and improve the basics of Freestyle and Backstroke
Swim Squad Outcomes:
- improve and refine performance of all 4 strokes
- develop an individual’s swim speed, technique and personal fitness
- learn and improve race starts, finishes and turns for all four strokes
- develop swim team performance for school carnivals and swim competitions
If you want your school to partake in MSA Swim Programs as an extra curricular sport or as part of the sports curriculum within the term please ask your school sports coordinator to contact us directly or have us contact the school on your behalf We would be happy to assist!
For all enquiries – Email us here
These programs offer unique and very important life saving skills of how to swim and be active in the ocean, and in a beach environment in a safe and fun way. Learning to be safe in the ocean and surf requires a basic level of swimming competence as well as having an understanding of personal life saving skills whilst in and around water.
The ocean awareness & safety and surf skills component can be incorporated as a progression of sessions over a term, but also be arranged as a Beach Day excursion at the conclusion of a pool based program. A Beach Day excursion may include multiple activities and games on the beach as well as in the surf.
See the following outcomes of Ocean Awareness and Survival Programs:
Swim & Survive/Water Safety Outcomes:
- develop personal water safety and general aquatic survival fitness
- develop a minimum of 100 metres of Freestyle (and extend strokes
- Freestyle fitness)
- demonstrate knowledge of when to use survival skills such as survival strokes and learn various self rescue techniques as well as develop life saving techniques to assist other swimmers in distress
Ocean Awareness and Safety and Surf Swimming & Skills Outcomes:
- develop knowledge and ability to identify and understand the effects of rips, currents, sandbanks, types of waves, water movement and maintain safety on the beach and in the surf
- build confidence and competence in ocean swimming; learning to navigate through the surf break, learn to swim in open water and bodysurf
- learn to identify risks and dangers in ever changing surf conditions, learn to safely enter and exit open water and beach breaks
- develop confidence in responding appropriately to challenging and even emergency situations in a beach/ocean environment
- learn about open water competition; incorporate surf knowledge and skills for better performance.
If you want your school to partake in MSA Ocean Programs as an extra curricular sport or as part of the sports curriculum within the term please ask your school sports coordinator to contact us directly or have us contact the school on your behalf. We would be happy to assist!
For all enquiries – Email us here